It is the beginning of a new year. With that being said, it is time to get your home spruced up with new windows. Why redo the entirety of your home, when you can make little changes to your whole house when you can just change one thing and make the most significant difference. The experts at American Home Center specializes in home window replacements. We are located in Plant City, FL.
Now Is The Time For Window Replacements
Even the best quality windows will not last forever, and double glazed windows will last for around 15 – 20 years. This is obviously impacted by several factors such as how well they are maintained, the weather they have to withstand and the type of frame material you choose.
Some window suppliers offer a guarantee on their products which means they will replace faults for free during that time. However, when windows are beyond repair you need to replace them sooner rather than later.
Signs You Need Home Window Replacements
- Windows are Worn Out
- Signs of rot or warping on your windows or double glazing is failing are significant indicators that you need to replace them.
- Wooden window frames, in particular, can be tricky to keep in good condition. When installed they look great, but even they will only last for ages if they are looked after every year and that can be time-consuming and easy to forget about. The trouble is, once rot has set into the wood, it can be pretty hard to halt the decay and keep on top of it. Rain becomes a nightmare and you might find it’s just too difficult a job to fix the window so it still looks good and does its job correctly. Of course, if you just leave it, the rot will just get worse, and it will become harder to open or close the window.
- Poor quality uPVC windows may discolor over time, and as they expand in heat, they can become warped. If your double glazing is failing, you may notice water leaks, condensation, cracks, chips, holes and scratches and difficulty regulating the temperature in your home
- Energy Bills are High
- Old or inefficient windows can have a significant impact on your home’s insulation and can lead to high energy bills. The more heat that is able to escape your home the more you will be using your central heating to compensate, and the same is true of using air conditioning. You can check this by standing next to your windows and seeing if it feels cooler than the rest of the room. If the glass is cold to touch, then it’s highly likely you’re wasting energy. You should also look for gaps in the frame
- Older windows are often single-paned and therefore more vulnerable to leaks. It’s an excellent idea to invest in double glazing with argon gas and low-emissivity (LoE) glass to reduce heat loss.
- Windows are Difficult to Open and Close
- This is one definite reason to replace the window, primarily because it could be a vital escape route in the event of an emergency.
- There are plenty of reasons why the window has become impossible to open. A common one is if it’s been painted shut. It might have saved time on the decorating, but it certainly doesn’t help the functioning of the window! Other causes of a stuck window are a warped frame such as uPVC windows which can expand and warp in hot weather. The uPVC should contract again when it cools but if this happening repeatedly the frame may be the wrong size for the aperture. Another cause could be that the foundations of your home have shifted and the window frame is no longer fitting in the space properly.
- Windows Aren’t Soundproofing Your Home
- Modern windows are designed to reduce sound transfer which can make a huge difference to your quality of life if you live near a busy road. If you can clearly hear noise from outside when you stand inside and the window is shut, this is probably an indicator that your window is quite old. So, if you want to enjoy peace and quiet, new is the way to go. You can learn more about the best windows for noise reduction here.
- Windows are Drafty
- The critical thing to consider with drafty windows is that your energy bills to heat your home will be higher – up to 25% more in some cases. So not investing in a new window because the cost is likely to become a false economy in the long run. New windows are also significantly more energy efficient than old ones so you could end up saving quite a lot of cash.
- Drafts can often occur when the window doesn’t shut properly. If the locking mechanism is not working anymore, this can be the cause. And don’t forget that could give you a potential security issue too.
- Windows are Leaking
- Windows are there to let the light stream into your home. This incredible effect can be ruined if moisture gets between the panes in double glazed windows, or you start getting a build-up of condensation on the inside.
- These issues usually occur when the seals have gone, or if the window hasn’t been installed correctly in the first place. The worst-case scenario is when the window starts to leak and you end up with pools of water on the inside.
- In all of these instances, it’s probably the most cost-effective option to simply replace the window as repairs can work out as expensive if the seals on other panes fail and the whole cycle starts again.
- You Do Not Have Double Glazing
- Take a good look at your windows. If you’ve always wondered why your room is always too cold in winter and too hot when the sun is out, it may be that you have single pane rather than double-pane glass. These are often found in old properties and can make your home quite uncomfortable because they’re simply not as effective or as efficient as a more modern, double-glazed window. Time to replace.
Call Us Today
When it comes to choosing the home window replacements, we know just what your home needs. We are the best resource for all the information when it comes to replacement windows. American Home Center also specializes in replacement windows. Call or visit us today online for more information. We are the best in Plant City, FL.